PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Scrapbooking Inspiration

Back when I first started this blog I was a serious scrapbooker, and a lot of what I blogged about was the pages I created for various challenge sites, design teams, etc. I also worked a two different scrapbooking stores since I started this blog. Loved that!! And I had a blast serving on the Scrapbooking from the Inside Out design team for the second half of 2010. I made some of my favorite pages those months. Inside Out’s concept is still dear to my heart: scrapbooking about yourself with a kit created around a theme or emotion each month. If you like to scrapbook, you should check them out. This month is all about communication. Cool, right?

So today, while reminiscing about my scrapbooking days cuz its been so long since I created a page, I thought I might put together a couple of my favorite techniques to use on my pages, just as inspiration… for me to pull out some pictures and paper and start creating again, and for you too. Smile 

scrapbooking1

Here are 3 of my go-to things I like to use on my scrapbook pages and I’ve used 3 layouts from my Inside Out days as demonstration. First up is a page I created from the “Acceptance” kit.

scrapbooking2

This kit came with this amazing hexagon die cut paper that had a really cool pattern on the other side. But to me it screamed out “turn me over and cut me into flowers!” So I did!  I always tray to do something a little unexpected if I have a neat or different paper. I like to play with mixing patterns too…usually ones that others would be scared to pair together. I like to think that’s something I’m really good at.

The next page was created using the “Purpose” kit. I pulled this one out of the box and just fell in love with the colors. They were very Shaina!

scrapbooking3

The kit came with these neat corrugated cardboard arrows to really emphasize the theme that month. Purpose = directionality. So I used them to add visual interest while leading the viewers’ eye through the page from the journaling to the pictures to the quote. It’s a photography trick of leading lines that I find myself using quite often in my scrapbooking too.

This next page was also from the “Purpose” kit, but using lots of layers of vintage ephemera and my last favorite technique (which is actually something I used on all 3 of the pages I shared!).

scrapbooking4

I do this sooo often, and its probably my favorite way to add journaling to my layouts. Sometimes I computer generate and print off my words, but other times I’ll cut the paper strips and add my own handwriting. You know how much I’m a sucker for handwriting!!

Now that I have my office all set up and organized I hope to start scrapbooking regularly again. I’ve missed it a lot. But going through my archives to find layouts to share for the blog post has really inspired and motivated me again. Perhaps I’ll have some new pages to share soon.

Are you a scrapbooker?
Have you used any of these techniques on your pages?
What is one of your go-to techniques?

16 comments:

  1. Ye, I am. And I love journaling written on typewriter too! I am
    I love doodling on my pages and also I am crazy about using paints! Epic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paints are a lot of fun..I have a bunch of acrylic paint and stamps that I use a lot too. I'll have to remember to pull them out when I start creating again! :)

      Delete
  2. Scrapbooking is one of those crafty activities that I find myself drawn to, but extremely intimidated by. I find myself going to shops and say "EGADS! This is such an expensive hobby!" and while I've bought some supplies on sale, I'm intimidated to use them because I'm afraid I'm just going to end up wasting materials.

    I went through a phase of digital scrapbooking several years ago, which I loved... and well... doing it in Photoshop was a lot easier on me because I never felt like I was wasting a physical object.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Digital scrapbooking is a good way to "save" product, that's for sure. But over the years I've collected so much that I need to just use it!! It is such an expensive hobby though, probably why I loved working at the scrapbook stores cuz I got a good discount and got to play with making samples for the shop for free.
      You should maybe try doing a smash book. You can collect little bits of things here and there to use. :)

      Delete
  3. wow this is lovely, you're really talented! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to see scrapbookiness from you! Want to see more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! Me too! I really miss it and can't wait to get creating again. :)

      Delete
  5. I love scrapbooking and was considering showcasing some of my pages on my blog! Any tips on photographing the pages??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely!! My first tip is to photograph near a window or open door so that you have good, bright light, but not direct light. Figure out a way to stand your pages upright. I use a large encyclopedia that can stand on its own and lean my pages again it. You can also use the back of a chair. Take the picture straight on to really capture the dimension of the details. Always keep your flash off. Then once you've got the shot, crop as close to the edges of the pages as possible and make sure to use a straighten tool so its as straight as you can get it. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  6. I miss your scrapbooking. Actually, I miss most everyone's scrapbooking. I don't want to move on... I hope to have time for it soon. I need it for my sanity. It's weird, I never cared about doing anything in order before or worried about what photos I used. But now that I have Ember I already feel SO behind with documenting her life, it's sort of catching me up. Bleh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to create for my sanity too. Hopefully we'll both get the creating time we need. Ember will love and cherish whatever you make for her. :)

      Delete
  7. Love these techniques, and scrapbooking has always been a love of mine, i use to always blog about it way back when i had more time, but although i don't blog much about it lately only when i have time i love to still do it, memory keeping is so important and its fun! You just got me motivated to do a a bunch more pages! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I miss scrapbooking and blogging about scrapbooking too. I'd love to see some of the pages you create!

      Delete
  8. Wow! Such cute ideas for journaling in your scrapbooking. I'm excited to try out your ideas. Thanks for sharing them with me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm planning on doing a post about my scrapbook from high school (which I only just recently finished!) as soon as I get around to taking pictures. I love your 'then and now' layout!

    ReplyDelete