PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, May 23, 2013

The things I learned

I have been creating a list of the things I learned during the previous year on my birthday since I was 18. Like “20 things I learned @ 20.” The first few ones are in my journal, but since I turned 23 I have created a blog post out of my list. You can find all of those posts here.

These lessons are ones that you won’t find in any school textbook or online class syllabus. These are lessons I’ve stumbled and sometimes fallen across during my life. Real life things you can only learn by living through them.

ThingsILearned

25at25-list

Here are some of favorite lessons from the past few years:

  • Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow"
  • It is important to be a human doing, not just a human being.
  • There is a reason why the square peg doesn't fit in the round hole.
  • My mental and emotional energy is too precious to squander on negative pessimistic people.
  • My story is worth being told, through whatever medium my heart decides.
  • The best thing is always the kind thing.
  • Forgive and then love…that’s all we need to do.
  • Every day might not be good, but there is something good in every day.

It is an important way that I chronicle and savor the years as they go by. Its one of my favorite projects. I am always being taught by life, and trying to learn the lessons thrown my way. These are the types of things you won’t learn in school…they must be lived to be learned. But really, isn’t that what life is all about?

GreyLine

Blog Every Day in May” challenge. Day 23: Things you’ve learned that school won’t teach you.

4 comments:

  1. Forgive and then love...that's really beautiful and true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that's a really good idea! And I love your lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the list, especially what you write about kindless. That's probably one of the things I need to work on hardest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying 'I will try again tomorrow'"

    I love that. Love.

    Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete