PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, May 25, 2013

I’ll never forget

Ever had one of those days when  everything feels a little off…when the tears come for no reason and with no end, and you’re having a hard time smiling? I’m having one of those days…

But its times like this when a memory of some kind thing someone once said cuts through the darkness and lifts my spirits.

“You’re the exception to the rule” she said…

And it was a compliment. I was 18 and it was one of the nicest compliments I’d ever received.

My step-mom turned friend, Connie and I were talking about teenagers and the norm of most of them, but how I was different. She took the time to notice how hard I was trying, and made a point of telling me her thoughts and impressions. And what she said to me is something I’ll never forget.

Many times in life we come across situations and we make observations, but too often we don’t voice them. We see many things, like a mother with well behaved kids at the store or a co-worker who does the little things. But if we did take the time to give a compliment or commendation, we have no idea how that might impact them. Here I am, almost 10 years removed from what Connie said to me, but it still touches my heart. Still helps me through the rough days.

Can we all try to do this for someone else today? To make someone smile, feel noticed, or worthwhile… it might make their day today and over and over again in the future.

Thank you, Connie for your words. They meant a lot to me then, and even more to me today.

line2

Blog Every Day in May” challenge. Day 25: Something someone told you about yourself that you'll never forget (good or bad).

No comments:

Post a Comment